Northwest Michigan Works! Now Using the Newton’s Road Career Investigator
November 14, 2022
Northwest Michigan Works! and Newton's Road have collaborated in many capacities over the last decade to support our young people in exploring high-in-demand, family-sustaining careers in the Northwest Lower Michigan region. We are pleased to announce that Northwest Michigan Works! will adopt the Newton's Road Career Investigator as their primary career pathway exploration platform to support individuals as they learn more about careers that are in-demand across the region.
Consolidating to a single platform has many benefits:
- One regionally centric tool supporting youth and adults in exploring "hot" local careers.
- One platform for local businesses to reach students and adults seeking career information about high-demand careers, and grow awareness of their work experiences to test-drive careers–which in turn enables employers to identify strong candidates they could hire down the road.
- One place to find local advantage pathways to prepare for these careers with less time and money.
- One community investment with less total regional cost and customer misperception caused by overlapping or duplicative efforts.
"The Career Investigator for Northwest Michigan is already being successfully used by school and college counselors, Northwest Michigan Works! staff, and at regional events like MiCareerQuest. Nonprofits and community organizations such as Big Brothers Big Sisters, LIFT Teen Center, The Rock of Kingsley, TADL Main Library and TCAPS school district are also connecting youth to this platform in their programs," states Bob O'Hara, new Executive Director of Newton's Road.
Lisa Schut, Regional Director of Policy and Resource Management for Northwest Michigan Works! adds "This new level of partnership supports an environment for the Career Investigator to expand and now represent employers and pathways aligning geographically with the 10-county region in which we serve. We also look forward to the inclusion of more occupations so additional in-demand industry sectors will be represented."
Access the Newton’s Road Career Investigator through Northwest Michigan Works! at nwm.org/CareerInvestigator.
The Career Investigator was developed by Newton's Road with funding to date by Rotary Charities, Northwestern Michigan College, Munson Healthcare Foundation, Grand Traverse Area Manufacturing Council, Hagerty Insurance, the Grand Traverse Regional Community Foundation and several other businesses and individual donors.
Networks Northwest is proud to become a multi-year sponsor of the Career Investigator in 2023.
About Newton’s Road
Newton’s Road is a nonprofit focused on helping our youth thrive in a rapidly changing workforce. Founded in 2010, we cultivate creative problem solvers by connecting families of preK-12 children to quality STEM learning and career exploration experiences. Find us online at newtonsroad.org.
Northwest Michigan Works! is an essential resource for employers and job seekers in the Northern Michigan area.
- Kathy Stuart, Michigan Rubber Products Human Resource Manager