Notice of Availability of Draft Hazard Mitigation Plan and Public Meeting for Input on the Draft Hazard Mitigation Plan
A public hearing for the plan will be held on April 19, 2023 at 5:30 PM prior to the Kalkaska County Board of Commissioners Meeting. The meeting location is in the Kalkaska County Administration Building, Board of Commissioners Room at 605 North Birch Street, Kalkaska, MI. Upon review of the plan, the Board of Commissioners shall recommend it be sent to Michigan State Police Homeland Security Division for review and then on to FEMA for their review and approval. Once FEMA has approved the plan, it will be brought before all local government boards for adoption.
Public comments are requested either in person or by representative at the public meeting or at PO Box 506, Traverse City MI 49685, or by email at Jennifer.firstname.lastname@example.org.
2023 Kalkaska County Hazard Mitigation Plan Current Drafts for Review:
Full Size Hazard Maps (Appx. A of the plan)
- Environmental Features
- Hazard Areas
- Vulnerable Populations and Hazard Areas
- Critical Infrastructure
- Critical Infrastructure and Hazard Areas
Phase I: Data collection and community survey
- An online survey was available from 11/2/2021 to 2/20/2022 to obtain input on past projects, hazard events, and potential mitigation strategies. The survey results will inform the direction of the Natural Hazards Mitigation Plan.
Phase II: Hazard identification and risk assessment
Phase III: Review and update hazard mitigation goals, priority areas, and implementation strategies.
Phase IV: Draft plan public comment period. Post the plan electronically and meet with the public for comments. Incorporate feedback from the public review period and make final edits to the plan.
Phase V: Plan Adoption. Facilitate the plan adoption process with the County Board of Commissioners and local officials.
Meetings and Documentation
Hazard Mitigation Plan work meetings and documentation will be posted here as they become available. All meetings are open to the public.
Kalkaska County (Local Planning Team or LPT/Local Emergency Planning Committee or LEPC) Meetings
are held in person and via Zoom* at 9:30 am, Annex Building Conference Room, 890 Island Lake Rd., Kalkaska, MI 49646 *Please contact the Kalkaska Emergency Management Coordinator if you would like to attend via Zoom!*
- November 23, 2021 (LPT/LEPC)
- February 22, 2022 (LPT/LEPC)
- April 18, 2022 (Kalkaska Michigan Townships Assocation Meeting presentation)
- April 26, 2022 - Discussion with Kalkaska County communities via ZOOM to discuss natural hazard priorities and community vulnerabilities
Mapped Identified Hazard Areas
- August 23, 2022 (LPT/LEPC)
- November 22, 2022 (LPT/LEPC)
- January 25, 2023 6pm (Kalkaska County Planning Commission - Discussion of Draft Hazard Mitigation Plan) at the County Administration Building 605 N Birch Street, Kalkaska
- March 16, 2023 (LPT/LEPC) via Zoom
- March 21, 2023 6 pm (Kalkaska County Planning Commission Meeting - final review of draft plan) at the County Administration Building 605 N Birch Street, Kalkaska
The professionals at Networks Northwest help our City Council, Planning Commission, and staff make thoughtful decisions to ensure our community is sustainable and resilient for many years to come.
- Mark Heydlauff, Charlevoix City Manager