2024 Hazard Mitigation Plan
Networks Northwest will assist the Charlevoix County Office of Emergency Management with updating the County's 2016 Natural Hazard Mitigation Plan. To be eligible for pre-disaster mitigation project grants awarded by FEMA, participating jurisdictions must contribute to the creation of the plan and adopt the FEMA-approved plan.
- Phase I: Data collection, including an online community survey. The survey was utilized to obtain input from community members on past hazard mitigation projects/events, current concerns regarding hazard mitigation and preparedness, and potential hazard mitigation strategies.
- Phase II: Hazard identification and risk assessment
- Phase III: Review and update hazard mitigation goals, priority areas, and implementation strategies.
- Phase IV: Draft plan public comment period. Post the plan electronically and meet with the public for comments. Incorporate feedback from the public review period and make final edits to the plan.
- Phase V: Plan Adoption. Facilitate the plan adoption process with the County Board of Commissioners and local officials.
Meetings and Documentation
Natural Hazard work-related meeting dates, times, and presentation materials will be posted here as they become available. All meetings are open to the public. Many of these meetings are held in conjunction with the Charlevoix County Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC) and are held at the Charlevoix County Sheriff's Office Training Room at 1000 Grant St., Charlevoix, MI 49720, unless otherwise stated. Please contact Sienna Wenz, Charlevoix County Emergency Managment Coordinator, if you would like to attend a meeting via Zoom instead of in person.
|HM Planning Meetings||Time/Place||Materials||Topic|
12:00 pm, Charlevoix County Sheriff's Office Training Room
|Presentation||Project overview and community profile|
|LEPC 11/21/2022||12:00 pm, Charlevoix County Sheriff's Office Training Room||Presentation||Historic weather events and hazard identification|
10:00 am, Whiting's Park - Green Building,
|Presentation||Discussion of community vulnerabilities and
site specific hazard concerns; mapping exercise
|LEPC 04/17/2023||12:00 pm, Charlevoix County Sheriff's Office Training Room||Presentation||
Community survey results; Discussion of
Draft Materials For Review
The professionals at Networks Northwest help our City Council, Planning Commission, and staff make thoughtful decisions to ensure our community is sustainable and resilient for many years to come.
- Mark Heydlauff, Charlevoix City Manager