Career Skills for the New Economy
The Career Skills for the New Economy have been endorsed by the Talent District Career Council, which provides guidance and recommendations to the Networks Northwest Regional Prosperity Board. The Career Council is comprised of local employers, labor representatives, local schools districts, postsecondary institutions, intermediate schools districts, career and technical educators, public school parents, and teachers.
The Northwest Michigan Talent District Career Council, Networks Northwest, and other economic and educational partners in Northwest Michigan encourage the development of the following Career Skills for Success.*
Critical Thinking & Problem-Solving:
- Explore complex issues and develop relevant solutions
Collaboration & Leadership:
- Achieve workplace goals through teamwork and shared authority
- "Read" the work environment and adjust quickly to new expectations
Initiative & Entrepreneurism:
- Suggest new ideas and try new methods which involve calculated risk
Effective Oral & Written Communication:
- Express ideas with clarity and sensitivity for easy and accurate replication
Accessing & Analyzing Information:
- Utilize sources to research, prioritize, and sort pertinent findings
Curiosity & Imagination:
- Notice opportunities/solutions, transfer/apply ideas into various disciplines
- Professionalism and productivity are career hallmarks
*Based on information from The Global Achievement Gap by Tony Wagner (2008, Basic Books, New York) and adapted from The Seven Survival Skills for Careers, College, and Citizenship©, Tony Wagner, Harvard University.
Learn more about Career Skills for the New Economy.
Download/view/print (11" x 17" posters)
Northwest Michigan Works! is Supported by the State of Michigan and is a proud partner of the American Job Center Network.
Elise, Sarah and Elizabeth of Networks Northwest really made the Speak-Up Kalkaska Event successful, and we look forward to our continued partnership in completing the cooperative Master Plan Process.Cash Cook, Kalkaska DDA Director