Solid Waste Advisory Committee (SWAC)
In 2005, Regional Planning staff hosted regional solid waste forums to discuss regional solid waste and recycling issues with representatives of the ten county area. The forums identified the need for a regional framework to encourage cross-county discussion and implementation of regional solutions. Hence, the Solid Waste Advisory Committee was formed.
- To provide a forum for regional networking and common needs identification and a framework for joint program implementation.
- To respond to and advocate for legislation that meets the needs of northwest Lower Michigan’s communities.
- To research solid waste and recycling “best practices” and the potential development of regional programs, and make recommendations to the NWMCOG Board about potential strategies and programs.
- To cooperatively develop solid waste plans – both inter-county and regional plans – that serve the public good.
- To reach out to elected officials to listen, inform, and educate them about solid waste and recycling issues and opportunities.
Recycling is Nothing New at East Jordan Iron Works
The East Jordan Iron Works has been using recycled scrap metal since the business was established in 1883. Iron Works Executive Vice President Tad Malpass talked about the company's recycling efforts at a Recycling and Jobs Forum in Traverse City. Watch the video to find out more about recycling at the East Jordan Iron Works.
Networks Northwest always proves to be a valued resource for our local government planning efforts. No organization does a better job of convening partners, promoting collaboration, and reporting on the data than does Networks NorthwestTy Wessell, Leelanau County Commissioner